Saturday 7 July 2012


CAR'NAMA' – Gaadi Ki Sawari!

Hello! It is good to be back after a gap of two weeks. All this while I went through a range of issues and thoughts that pushed me to write, but due to paucity of time, or so called my clock-by-clock routine, could not make it. I am not saying this only to my fellow readers, who I am not sure whether really care, but also to this page who I promised to give my company as much as possible.

Nonetheless, as I sit to write I am going through a range of compelling thoughts, some of which I shared with my new friend Nishtha. Just to let you know, she is impeccable with words and very elegant at expressions. I have met a very few who have as vast vocabulary as she has. I know she usually reads my posts, so many congratulations to her.

I am quite inspired to write about two topics – My fetish for workout and Rahul Dravid. I am sorry I cannot explain why Rahul Dravid in a few lines here. I would rather wait until I finally write about him. The third element that has occupied most of my mental space of late is Car.

Yes, Car. I do not have a Car! I do not drive a Car! It is a confession that I am making, and I do not really feel inferior without a Car.

Before I go any further I want to apologies to all my well wishers who might take offence at this post. And make it clear that I do not write this to show anyone down. You all have been those few ones who I would love to share my happiness and sorrow with. However, I write this to put down what I go through and how I see what I hear and made to feel every now and then.

It is great to own and drive a car. And I very well understand the fact that it is more a necessity in current times than luxury. I will not get into explanation of why I do not have a car. I am more interested in sharing – how I am expected to own a car, why I must have a car, and how is life without a car.

Just to set the pretext before I could dwell over these questions – we never had a vehicle in our family! It was not so much of a trouble until a few years ago. It is not that much of a handicap now also, but somehow I am reminded more about it than ever before. Perhaps one of the reasons could be earlier my financial status was not so sound that I was expected to buy a car. May be now I am! This is not the end of a story. I am also of a marriageable age.

I am sure very few of you would refute that and understand the direct correlation between marriage and owning a car. It is quite obvious now in most of the sects in our society. Otherwise what will my the bride’s father consider and see in me or my family for her daughter. The flip side is if I already have a car, even a second hand, I am likely to get another, fresh one in my marriage as a gift, or if you were to put it crudely, in dowry. Should be an effective profit proposition!

There is many a slip between the cup and the lip. Not everyone is alike. Keeping the morality aside, it is still not a very attractive one. Anyhow, now when I meet people it is taken for granted that I must have a car. Sometimes it is brought up in conversation and that leaves me in lurch whether to correct them or skip the topic. If correct them, then whether to give them an explanation or not.

Ownership of certain ‘must-haves’ is definitely a step ahead in your life. It pushes you up in status ladder. But for some reason if you could not have it at the opportune time or chose to opt out or postpone it till a certain point in future, could this become a matter of great embarrassment and concern?

In my experience, to an extent yes! My father never had it or for that matter many in my relatives and friends did not have it even when they could afford it, nobody questioned and no haste. It would have been totally fine. Not Now!

In my view, it has largely to do with easy access. Earlier loans were not in; less people sought credit from banks. Even banks did not push loans and related schemes down to your throat. Now, you get loan even if you sneezed. And that has made attachments such as ‘ownership of a car’ at a certain level very obvious.

There is one more insight that I have gathered from people who had their eyebrows up on knowing the reality. I do not think it would be exaggeration if I said that quite a few of us are often than not interested in knowing the status of the other person from his/her clothing, sense of style, speaking, etc. And then are the same people who sadly give-in to others’ intimidation and try to live-up to their scrutiny of us.

We must stand for who we are and what we have! We grow to enrich our lives for our wellbeing. Others saw even when did not have and will see whenever we have!

On tactical side, as I said earlier, there is many a slip between the cup and the lip. I wish our roads and infrastructure had not contracted with growing economy and evolving society, lesser mortals like me could afford safe parking and enjoy “GAADI KI SAWARI”. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment