Thursday 21 June 2012


It is great to be back here after a gap of few weeks……….!!!! :) :) :) :) :) Did you miss me??????

You might be wondering what the hell on earth is wrong with him. Well, I won’t be surprised even if you didn’t find it amusing. This is exactly how some of us communicate today! Isn’t it?

The exclamation and punctuation marks are used to create dramatization. We may not be good actors on stage but out here we leave no stone unturned, or should I say no punctuation as it should be, to exhibit emotions through our written communication. We intended to have our readers read much more than our sentences are capable of expressing.

Perhaps the idea is to give facelift to our written expressions by decking them up with exaggeration. A never ending ellipsis (… /….) might be applied to say, ‘dude, this is how far I went to bring my girlfriend back’, or ‘this was exactly the length of her cleavage, if I gauged it right’.

The funniest being multiple use of question mark (?) – ‘??????’. In my mind I can imagine only two things – anxious and frowning face of the grumpy sender or bandarwal (decorative-cum-good luck sign at the entry gate of the houses of Hindus).

:) :) :) :) Though does not appear to be as alarming and offensive as the ones above, yet it is hard to imagine the sender’s giggling face on laptop screen. All the more a tasteless imagination if the sender had two teeth missing from the front. :) 

Nonetheless an innovation of a sort by lingo laded communicators of today!

The only downside to this in my mind is underestimation of one’s personality. If I am inquiring about something from someone my purpose should be established by brevity and selection of appropriate words rather than wasting space and dirtying the slate like this. The language is already abused in many ways, referring to shorthand writing by netizens, leaving punctuation marhs to their original self can only do good.


There is no greater power than word power....Empower thyself! :) Koi shaq?

1 comment:

  1. Since 80% of our communication is non verbal; emoticons help us bring 20% extra to our written communication :)

    ReplyDelete